Author Topic: Motivational training in the work place. Struggling to embrace it.  (Read 15569 times)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Motivational training in the work place. Struggling to embrace it.
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 07:29:05 am »
One thing that comes up is that when you question the direction the process is taking the company, you are accused of having, shock!, horror!, "a negative attitude to change".

This, in their estimation, is worse than being an armed robber, conman, mugger, etc! ;D

At another workplace a "Teflon Lady" ( so-called , because very real problems we pointed out about the "change process" just slid off her without being absorbed), regaled us with the " Buggywhip maker analogy".

This is my "pet hate" amongst the rubbish they serve up.

Buggywhip making never served more than a niche market, as most people who used horses had no use for them.
Young showoffs did, but even they hardly ever used them, so they didn't often need replacement.
There certainly was not a huge workforce involved, who lost their jobs when cars appeared.

Of course,such an argument wouldn't work with her, as it was part of her programming!
A "Stepford Manager", perhaps! ;D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:58 am »
No doubt it wouldn't have any effect if you mutated Feynman's "cargo cult science" into, say, "cargo-cult processes".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 01:30:36 pm »
MBAs need something to justify all the time and money they wasted getting their degrees.

The funny thing is that if you would just implement "Free Taco Tuesday" all the engineers would be happier and more productive than "Sit in this meeting and watch this video that will make you more productive Tuesday".  The tacos would be way cheaper too.

I, for one, feel much more motivated after a free lunch.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »
Buggywhip making never served more than a niche market, as most people who used horses had no use for them.
Young showoffs did, but even they hardly ever used them, so they didn't often need replacement.
There certainly was not a huge workforce involved, who lost their jobs when cars appeared.
Whips, including recognisable buggywhips, seem to be more popular than ever.  However in the last hundred years they've moved from the carriage house to the bedroom!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 03:53:20 pm »
read the reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-Amazing/dp/0399144463/

luckily, I have never been 'given' that book at work, but I know people who were given that book and had to attend a company meeting when they gave them out.  if that happens, immediately start looking for a new job..

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 09:34:05 pm »
 My old boss gave me a copy of that to read. Right before he sold the company to the people I work for now.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 09:52:50 pm »
Read the datasheet (scientific papers) for those events and get over ourselves? Angries will be angry

Edit: as a jack with many hats this thread exemplifies the stereotype that is an engineer. Events for the group does not have to benefit you in order to benefit you. It's ok to feel insulted or annoyed some times. Whenever you help with SimpleThingX they feel like that. Be the underdog, the outsider, and smile.  :-+
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:03:03 pm by alexanderbrevig »

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 11:36:45 pm »
Someone gave me that to read. What a load of :bullshit:

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2017, 03:59:53 pm »
quite a number of years ago, I knew a girl who worked at yahoo, main campus.  she was telling me about how mgmt was giving that book out to employees (at least in her group or cost center).  this was at least 10 yrs ago, fwiw; long before marissa came around.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
I was given that book by a higher level manager at an old job, but not due to any restructuring. He found it insightful and thought I would as well. I agree with his assessment of the book. It is cleverly written and very informative. I looked at change differently after reading it.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 04:08:08 pm »
I was given that book by a higher level manager at an old job, but not due to any restructuring. He found it insightful and thought I would as well. I agree with his assessment of the book. It is cleverly written and very informative. I looked at change differently after reading it.
I agree with you on the contents of the book, although I was given it alongside more dire circumstances. In the end it worked out well for me - I moved to the US doing something I like much more.

Regarding the main topic of this discussion, in the company I work I feed the motivational spiel was much more prominent in early 2000s - nowadays there are glimpses of it here and there but for the most part we are motivated by other means. The social skills courses (ethics, sexual harassment, etc.) are provided online at my company and I feel they are a hit or miss depending on the age of the training (these are expensive to create and tend to repeat themselves year after year) and how connected/disconnected they are from the reality of the workplace (some are very down to earth, while others are very hypothetical).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf