Author Topic: Virtual Reality Drone for roof inspection?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline John_ITICTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ITIC Protocol Analyzers
    • International Test Instruments Corporation
Virtual Reality Drone for roof inspection?
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:37:25 am »
I'm considering buying a drone for doing annual roof inspections on my house. I saw someone a while a go that used VR glasses connected to the drone so he saw exactly what the drone saw. He seemed to have super good control of the drone. It would be cool to fly up to the roof (2 story house) and record video and take pictures with GOOD accuracy (i.e. no toy drone).

Any recommendations?
Pocket-Sized USB 2.0 LS/FS/HS Protocol Analyzer Model 1480A with OTG decoding.
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.
https://www.internationaltestinstruments.com

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
Re: Virtual Reality Drone for roof inspection?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:38 am »
I'd say that setup is overkill, just get a parrot bebop or something that can stream to a device you already have, it will be way cheaper and almost identical.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:59:00 am »
I'd like one that I could fix a scoop to - to clean out those second storey gutters, especially on the low side of the block - where the ground floor is more than 4 feet above the terrain....

Offline John_ITICTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ITIC Protocol Analyzers
    • International Test Instruments Corporation
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:02:26 am »
I'd say that setup is overkill, just get a parrot bebop or something that can stream to a device you already have, it will be way cheaper and almost identical.

Thanks. I'm concerned that I will not be able to see anything on the iphone screen on the southern California sun... Also, what's the difference in controllability of high-end vs low-end drones?

I guess I have to watch some youtube videos to learn more...
Pocket-Sized USB 2.0 LS/FS/HS Protocol Analyzer Model 1480A with OTG decoding.
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.
https://www.internationaltestinstruments.com

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:12:14 am »

Thanks. I'm concerned that I will not be able to see anything on the iphone screen on the southern California sun... Also, what's the difference in controllability of high-end vs low-end drones?

I guess I have to watch some youtube videos to learn more...

Super high end ones can stream a gopro vs a built in camera, will have longer range, more carry weight, and a gimball system for your camera if you get into photography ones. Don't get me wrong I'd love one but they are way too expensive, the bebop looks nice though, fairly good built in camera, gps, and an optional long range remote kit with a sun shade.

Don't bother with the parrot ar drone though, while it has dual cameras the bottom one didn't get an upgrade in the 2.0 version and is horrible on the 1.0 version.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:24:54 am »
I'm considering buying a drone for doing annual roof inspections on my house. I saw someone a while a go that used VR glasses connected to the drone so he saw exactly what the drone saw. He seemed to have super good control of the drone. It would be cool to fly up to the roof (2 story house) and record video and take pictures with GOOD accuracy (i.e. no toy drone).

Any recommendations?
You can't just put a camera or phone on a pole? It is once a year after all.

Wouldn't be cool. (also wouldn't work for really tall houses)

Also, he could do it for other people and start making some money, and the time savings will mean he can do more houses, provided the batteries last long enough. Record the footage, then the people can watch it or show it to whoever might do their roofing work. I've toyed with the idea too but my drone's cameras are crap, it also doesn't do great in the wind.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:26:24 am »
I have a USB camera (borescope dimensions) at the end of a 5m cable which I can plug into my phone.  Viewing the screen in real time allows me to locate precise positions of points of interest that are out of direct view.

The cable is way too short for this job.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 04:28:37 am »
I have a USB camera (borescope dimensions) at the end of a 5m cable which I can plug into my phone.  Viewing the screen in real time allows me to locate precise positions of points of interest that are out of direct view.

They have 15 meter ones available. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Waterproof-USB-Inspection-Camera-Boroscope-Snake-Scope-Endoscope-4-LED-10mm-15M-/222215388871?var=&hash=item33bd11bec7:m:mEte17KGUThXjqoTesRz12w

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:31:09 am »
Also, he could do it for other people and start making some money, and the time savings will mean he can do more houses, provided the batteries last long enough. Record the footage, then the people can watch it or show it to whoever might do their roofing work. I've toyed with the idea too but my drone's cameras are crap, it also doesn't do great in the wind.

In Australia, there is a big difference between running your own drone for private use - and using one for a commercial operation.

Without going into the full detail, the 'pilot' of the drone needs to have formal certification - part of which is studying the same material that regular pilot training begins with.  In addition to that, the 'operator' (the one who runs the business) must also be certified - and that includes documented procedures for operation, maintenance and so on.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 04:37:42 am »

In Australia, there is a big difference between running your own drone for private use - and using one for a commercial operation.

Without going into the full detail, the 'pilot' of the drone needs to have formal certification - part of which is studying the same material that regular pilot training begins with.  In addition to that, the 'operator' (the one who runs the business) must also be certified - and that includes documented procedures for operation, maintenance and so on.

We'd have to get OP to look up the regulations in his state. He would also have to take into account proximity to any local airports. I don't know if he would need a license in the us.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 04:55:22 am »

They have 15 meter ones available. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Waterproof-USB-Inspection-Camera-Boroscope-Snake-Scope-Endoscope-4-LED-10mm-15M-/222215388871?var=&hash=item33bd11bec7:m:mEte17KGUThXjqoTesRz12w

I'm going to get cross examined if I do.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf