Author Topic: how to waterproof ardunio?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline arduino_programmerTopic starter

how to waterproof ardunio?
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »
Hello for my master thesis i develop internet of thing controlled arduino device that is used in places with wather (like restroom). It connects to phone with wi-fi and bluetooth and on android app i can make it switch led diodes, move hooby servo and use heat wire. I have problem because my wires to arduino and sensors get water and rust. How to make arduino not get so much water so it can function properly?

Thank you for advice

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
Re: how to waterproof ardunio?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:28:13 pm »
Hello for my master thesis i develop internet of thing controlled arduino device that is used in places with wather (like restroom). It connects to phone with wi-fi and bluetooth and on android app i can make it switch led diodes, move hooby servo and use heat wire. I have problem because my wires to arduino and sensors get water and rust. How to make arduino not get so much water so it can function properly?

Thank you for advice

Why don't you design it into an aluminium case with IP67 / IP69K connectors on it, then pot it with clear or standard epoxy inside?

The following users thanked this post: MrMetthew

Offline arduino_programmerTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:33:05 pm »

Thank you for advice

Why don't you design it into an aluminium case with IP67 / IP69K connectors on it, then pot it with clear or standard epoxy inside?

Hello sir, thank you for kind regards! I must use standart wires with black plastic connector and device must be very thin because it is mounted under toilet bench and user must be able to easy replace modules (live replacement of modules is required part of my thesis). Do you know things that are good and conduct current? I use spray paint now but it leaves everything dirty and not connecting.

Offline MrMetthew

• Regular Contributor
  • Where it all comes down to : i = c (dv/dt)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:47 pm »
You can't coat it in something conductive, cause that would short out the connections :). Do as CM800 says and pot it. If you want an easy and cheap prototype you can even try to pot it in hot glue, of course that wont be a good long term solution.

But you know it's a thesis, so it only has to work ONCE, and that is during the thesis presentation :P!

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »

Thank you for advice

Hello sir, thank you for kind regards! I must use standart wires with black plastic connector and device must be very thin because it is mounted under toilet bench and user must be able to easy replace modules (live replacement of modules is required part of my thesis). Do you know things that are good and conduct current? I use spray paint now but it leaves everything dirty and not connecting.

Mind if I ask what your Thesis is on / area of study? I'm curious.

why must you use 'standard wider and standard black connectors'? down to specifying what color they are....  :-DD

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:45:03 am »
Potting is a messy solution. I like the IP67 enclosure solution better. Lots of them out there in this size range for very reasonable prices. Liquid tight connectors can be found to bring out your wires from the box, and many of them are plastic so your wireless signals will still work.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:45 am »
Go look at Hammond Manufacturing or Bopla.
Bopla has Bocube, which you might like.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:21 pm »
must be very thin

I will go out on a limb and guess any store bought enclosure will not work.  How about double bag it in zip lock bags (good quality ones) - squeeze all the air out and seal best you can.  Use silicon sealer to seal up the gaps around the wires.  Then if you want another layer of sealing - coat the outside with a thick layer of heavy grease (guns are stored this way) and placed in another zip lock.  Then wrap everything with duct tape.  Messy but cheap.

Another wrap (the gun method)  is wrap in wax paper and then grease and then wax paper.  But I think zip locks would be better.  But anyway grease might work for you.  The trick is maintaining a sufficient thickness of grease.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf