Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549409 times)

Gertjan, TERRA Operative, SashPlane, Wolfgang, MVSantos and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2017, 08:30:35 pm »
That's an impressive tube. Bet you get a free x-ray with it too ;)

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: February 23, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »
I got one of these too, but mine has more period accurate knobs on it. Its quite amazing how accurate these things are on the output.
Good to know! Don't forget that manual states that this PS can be used as a calibrator and has less than 1mV rms ripple, I had to change the knobs as mine arrived in very poor state, the rest was pristine.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #377 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:53 pm »
Damn you guys!!  HV, a boat anchor AND it has a tube...   |O

<adds search>

:-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: February 23, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
3 tubes actually  >:D, it's one of my favorite toys, I'd seriously prefer to see my fancy Rohde CRTU go instead of this one

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #379 on: February 23, 2017, 08:50:01 pm »
This is the group therapy thread for Test Equipment Anonymous, not Tube Equipment Anonymous. ;D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:56 pm »
This is the group therapy thread for Test Equipment Anonymous, not Tube Equipment Anonymous. ;D

I have all kinds, I just have a soft spot for tubes.  Plus it's winter in New England, so tubes this time of year are a win-win as far as I'm concerned.   :-+

-Pat

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2017, 11:43:17 pm »
I have a serious soft spot for vacuum tube test equipment.
I remember when I was in college the electronics lab had a 0-50V 1A regulated power supply, a nice piece of Gray HP-Iron with something eight 6L6 pass tubes in parallel.
Truly a thing of beauty.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: February 24, 2017, 12:47:16 am »
Talking about HV supplies here's a beauty and a beast. 10kV output, with 0.05% wire resistors and a voltage reference tube. More importantly its a real boatanchor, my 3589A is not happy about that   :)

Whoa, are those Lucite rods, or glass, used for standoffs there to keep the board isolated?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2017, 01:12:53 am »
Talking about HV supplies here's a beauty and a beast. 10kV output, with 0.05% wire resistors and a voltage reference tube. More importantly its a real boatanchor, my 3589A is not happy about that   :)

Whoa, are those Lucite rods, or glass, used for standoffs there to keep the board isolated?

Most likely some sort of plastic for isolation - Lucite is quite possible - they're coupling the knobs to the switches.

-Pat

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #384 on: February 24, 2017, 01:38:25 am »
Pat, does your profile pic mean, "Nixie is #1"?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:34 am »

I can see how it looks that way in the tiny avatar image, but that's actually a Russian 6C19Pi triode.  It's a crop/resize of a tube in a Transcendent T16 OTL amplifier I put together a few years ago.  I believe this is the source image for the crop:

They're rather cool looking tubes, what with the visible cathode and grid.  Here's a closer view of the cathode, grid and plates:

A few more pics of the amp are at:
https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/T-16-Amplifier

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2017, 05:30:31 am »
Cool! Thanks, Pat.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2017, 10:24:42 am »
3 tubes actually  >:D, it's one of my favorite toys, I'd seriously prefer to see my fancy Rohde CRTU go instead of this one

Well one of the "tubes" is actually just a bimetal thermal delay relay that is used to delay the turn on of the plate voltage to the giant tube before its fully warmed up.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2017, 03:48:37 pm »
So my ANP62 arrived today!!! I've not fully tested it yet but I have powered it up to check it basically operates and it seems fine so far :-+ I've attached a picture of the powered unit.

One thing it doesn't have is the APN-B1 reference board which will give it a more stable reference or allow it to accept an external 10MHz lab reference. It's not something I need at the moment but one of my projects this year is going to be to sort out a really stable/accurate 10MHz reference to run to all the instruments which can accept it. Unfortunately I don't seen to be able to find an APN-B1 available for sale anywhere and I can't find any information on it. I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about these units? If I could get enough information about how the option B1 interfaces with the board I could probably make something similar to work with it instead.

Many thanks,

Rachael
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:10:03 pm by rachaelp »
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2017, 04:51:42 pm »
Obviously the thing to do when I have a HP 419A in pieces is to buy a Fluke 845AB that needs some work.  The one I got seems to be almost 50 years old.  Yesterday evening I disposed of the old but not leaky 8x SC-size NiCd pack.  Also determined it seems to primarily be not functioning correctly because one of the two neons is not firing.  Haven't yet decided if I'm going to try some of the neons I have on hand or do the LED mod: http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Fluke/Fluke_845A_AB

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2017, 05:36:09 pm »
Restored my "trash can" Fluke 8024B. This is bad news. Really bad news. This has lead to a ton of broken Flukes being added to the watch list because it only takes about 4 hours to replace the displays :)

Repair thread... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-8024b-won't-zero/msg1138416/

I may end up collecting these.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2017, 06:07:32 pm »
Having it turn out looking like new is bad news, too. Enjoy your new hobby! ;D

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »

I can see how it looks that way in the tiny avatar image, but that's actually a Russian 6C19Pi triode.  It's a crop/resize of a tube in a Transcendent T16 OTL amplifier I put together a few years ago.  I believe this is the source image for the crop:

They're rather cool looking tubes, what with the visible cathode and grid.  Here's a closer view of the cathode, grid and plates:

-Pat
Truly a sight to behold.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2017, 07:10:06 pm »

-Pat
Truly a sight to behold.
Oh dear, now we all know what turns Sue on.  :-DD
New thread for Sue.....Show me you hot tube.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #394 on: February 25, 2017, 02:39:08 am »
Restored my "trash can" Fluke 8024B. This is bad news. Really bad news. This has lead to a ton of broken Flukes being added to the watch list because it only takes about 4 hours to replace the displays :)

Repair thread... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-8024b-won't-zero/msg1138416/

I may end up collecting these.

I have 6 Fluke 8060As now.  One of them has a bad LCD. Every time a cheap "parts or repair" one shows up on eBay, I get it, ostensibly to rob it's LCD.  But invariably, I just end up fixing it instead.  Just got one for $5 + postage.  It's been fixed, and I'm still one LCD short...  :-DD

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #395 on: February 25, 2017, 09:32:12 am »
I'd love an 8060. May grab one for the growing "collection" when one makes an appearance. I'm going for bench Flukes next as I only have one bench meter. My wife actually walked up to my "corner" of the living room, counted the 6 meters and then saw the 5 on the watch list (we share an ebay account) and said her usual phrase "you're collecting things again!"...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:33:56 am by SingedFingers »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #396 on: February 25, 2017, 09:42:00 am »
I'd love an 8060. May grab one for the growing "collection" when one makes an appearance. I'm going for bench Flukes next as I only have one bench meter. My wife actually walked up to my "corner" of the living room, counted the 6 meters and then saw the 5 on the watch list (we share an ebay account) and said her usual phrase "you're collecting things again!"...

Has she seen this thread?   :-DD

-Pat

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: February 25, 2017, 09:47:33 am »

Well at least its just handheld multi meters. Just wait until you start collecting 25kg boatahcnors that don't even work but you manage to fix them most of the time and its so satisfying you buy even more broken heavy crap.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2017, 10:36:01 am »

Has she seen this thread?   :-DD

Not yet. She would die if she did.

Well at least its just handheld multi meters. Just wait until you start collecting 25kg boatahcnors that don't even work but you manage to fix them most of the time and its so satisfying you buy even more broken heavy crap.

I'm heading in that direction. I've got two limping Tek 465B's and the remains of a Tek 465B in the hall under a pile of broken Heathkit stuff from the 1970s in the "fix queue". Heathkit stuff usually goes for nothing if it's broken, the manuals are pretty easy to get hold of as are the parts or equivalents, and they sell for a fortune on ebay again afterwards. Problem is I "forget" to sell them ;)

Today's task is getting the sweep working again on my HP3312A which I actually NEED for something. Glorious bit of kit. The inside looks like it was designed by a rich Indian family or a pimp:

Problem with HP kit is when you get some, you think to yourself hmm I really like that. Perhaps I should sell everything and buy HP kit. Then you find a nice old HP 6236B or something (I'm waiting for one of these). Now you have one more problem!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:38:13 am by SingedFingers »

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #399 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:26 am »
And alas an HP6236B equivalent just appeared like magic after I posted that so here we go again for a reasonable £125...

I have agreed withe other half to sell another supply, probably the shitty Heathkit one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf