Author Topic: HP 3458a calibration (UK)  (Read 4131 times)

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
HP 3458a calibration (UK)
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:12:27 am »
Hi all,

I bought my 3458a from outside the UK just under a year ago and as such I have never used calibration services inside the UK.

Can anyone give me an idea as to the procedure and maybe costs involved with Keysight. I am in Scotland, and the nearest centre is Telford, England I think.

Before I go ahead and build batch no.3 of my Precision Voltage Source's I'd like to get my 3458a re-calibrated, specifically DCV calibrated only in order to keep cal costs down. Am hoping this is something that Keysight can accomodate.

Thanks,

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
Re: HP 3458a calibration (UK)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:56:12 am »

Can anyone give me an idea as to the procedure and maybe costs involved with Keysight. I am in Scotland, and the nearest centre is Telford, England I think.

Before I go ahead and build batch no.3 of my Precision Voltage Source's I'd like to get my 3458a re-calibrated, specifically DCV calibrated only in order to keep cal costs down. Am hoping this is something that Keysight can accomodate.

Thanks,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

We've just calibrated our HP3458A Opt 002 at Keysight UK and also got a 3-year service/calibration agreement with them, the total cost was ~£1.5K + VAT for 3 years (including 3 yearly calibrations with uncertainties)*. The actual calibration is done at Wokingham, Berkshire but we've dropped the unit in person at Keysight UK Telford location (as a part of our company is located in Telford) and they use a regular shuttle service to deliver the equipment from Telford to Wokingham and back. Email to the UK Support (contactcentre_uk@keysight.com) and ask for a quotation. I've found it easy to deal with Keysight support.

Cheers

Alex

* - you can do it for one year only, it is a bit more expensive per year.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:59:32 am by Alex Nikitin »

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:16:41 pm »
Hi Ian,

We've just calibrated our HP3458A Opt 002 at Keysight UK and also got a 3-year service/calibration agreement with them, the total cost was ~£1.5K + VAT for 3 years (including 3 yearly calibrations with uncertainties)*. The actual calibration is done at Wokingham, Berkshire but we've dropped the unit in person at Keysight UK Telford location (as a part of our company is located in Telford) and they use a regular shuttle service to deliver the equipment from Telford to Wokingham and back. Email to the UK Support (contactcentre_uk@keysight.com) and ask for a quotation. I've found it easy to deal with Keysight support.

Cheers

Alex

* - you can do it for one year only, it is a bit more expensive per year.

Thanks......email sent. I'll update with how I get on, specifically costs due to my asking DCV only.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:27:22 pm »
Hi Ian,

do you have quote for DCV calibration? Maybe I'm wrong but the lab which can calibrate 3458A is only in Germany and in US.

Online IanJTopic starter

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 04:06:13 pm »
Hi Ian,

do you have quote for DCV calibration? Maybe I'm wrong but the lab which can calibrate 3458A is only in Germany and in US.

No reply yet! Email was sent on 11th.

Ian.

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
This is for business or personal? Don't know if it helps any, but I have a 732A I'm planning to get calibrated at NPL - I think their next session for DCV is March. If we could find a UK person with a SR104 with similar intentions we should be able to cal a lot of 3458As.

Alan
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:58:01 am »
When you have those two standards, what you can do only is adjustment, and limited validation (calibration), at these two values. All other validations are missing. While there is some guidance in the US (MIL use) that adjustment is sufficient every second time an item with artifact calibration needs adjustment/calibration, this is not necessarily good practice. So in the case of the initiator of this post, at least all DCV ranges should be verified.
Secondly, many cal labs use inadequate gear to do so, i.e. the uncertainties are too high. You cannot use a Fluke 5500 or 5700 to do that, as some labs do(!). Even a 5720/5730 is challenged. If one wants to do it properly, with low uncertainties, a lot of manual work is needed, and gear with low cal uncertainties. That is inconvenient of course, most labs these days being used to do some connections and run a software. E.g. validating the DCV range is best done with a 4910 DC standard (or similar; with low uncertainties not only for the 10V but also for 1V) for the 1V/10V range, and a very stable source for the other voltages, with 1kV being the least critical due to the high 3458A uncertainties in that range. So for 0.1V and 100V, e.g. a Fluke 752 and its low uncertainty, in combination with a stable source, may be used. Or a good low uncertainty DC calibrator. For DC current e.g., it is way more precise to use a set of precision shunt resistors and measure the shunt voltage (after referencing the meter to a DC standard) than just using a DCI calibrator. This is how we do it, but all this takes time. Still there are cal labs out there (many, I would say) that charge a lot of money, but do it the cheap way, and you may find out that you have a problem later. So when you have your 3458A calibrated, ask the right questions before you place the order.
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »
When you have those two standards, what you can do only is adjustment, and limited validation (calibration), at these two values. All other validations are missing. While there is some guidance in the US (MIL use) that adjustment is sufficient every second time an item with artifact calibration needs adjustment/calibration, this is not necessarily good practice. So in the case of the initiator of this post, at least all DCV ranges should be verified.
Secondly, many cal labs use inadequate gear to do so, i.e. the uncertainties are too high. You cannot use a Fluke 5500 or 5700 to do that, as some labs do(!). Even a 5720/5730 is challenged. If one wants to do it properly, with low uncertainties, a lot of manual work is needed, and gear with low cal uncertainties. That is inconvenient of course, most labs these days being used to do some connections and run a software. E.g. validating the DCV range is best done with a 4910 DC standard (or similar; with low uncertainties not only for the 10V but also for 1V) for the 1V/10V range, and a very stable source for the other voltages, with 1kV being the least critical due to the high 3458A uncertainties in that range. So for 0.1V and 100V, e.g. a Fluke 752 and its low uncertainty, in combination with a stable source, may be used. Or a good low uncertainty DC calibrator. For DC current e.g., it is way more precise to use a set of precision shunt resistors and measure the shunt voltage (after referencing the meter to a DC standard) than just using a DCI calibrator. This is how we do it, but all this takes time. Still there are cal labs out there (many, I would say) that charge a lot of money, but do it the cheap way, and you may find out that you have a problem later. So when you have your 3458A calibrated, ask the right questions before you place the order.

Questions

1. What resistors do you use for this?
2. How are the resistors calibrated?
3. How often are the resistors calibrated?

I visited a cal lab recently. The resistors used are very old. A Measurements International bridge is used to calibrate the resistors. This is the first time I have seen one of these bridges in person.
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:28 pm »
An SR104, a Leeds Northrop 4210 and hermetic metal foil resistors (temperature controlled/heated to better 0.1K) are used as references. Calibration is partly derived in a ladder calibration, using SR1010s. Calibration is once a year as a minimum.
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf