Author Topic: Any experiences with Pomona Kelvin probes?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline t2kvTopic starter

• Contributor
Any experiences with Pomona Kelvin probes?
« on: October 29, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
Looking to obtain some Kelvin clips, and saw these -- they're four wire Kelvin leads, but built into probes. Does anyone have any experience with them?  :-+:-- ?
Are they likely to provide the same accuracy improvement as Kelvin clips over 2 wire measurements?

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/d6303_100.pdf

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Any experiences with Pomona Kelvin probes?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:55:06 pm »
A slight discrepency between what you're looking for (clips) and what you've linked (probes).

Kelvin clips take the individual signals right to each jaw of each clip, measurement current and voltage sense are completely separated right to the measurement locations.  Kelvin probes simply join the signals at the back of the probe tip, this eliminates the effect of lead resistance but do nothing to correct the contact resistance between the probe tips and measurement locations. This may be more convenient in some situations but is nowhere near as accurate for low resistances. It depends how low you want to go.

Edit: If you want decent accuracy in the single or tens of milliohms range, I'd go for clips.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:00:09 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: t2kv

Offline t2kvTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:24:19 am »
Thanks, Gyro. Pretty new to this, so appreciate you taking the time to explain the difference and provide advice! :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 07:25:00 pm »
Member iloveelectronics (Franky) does these, have a look at this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/franky's-kelvin-clip-kit/

Reply #7 is him and at the foot of his post is his eBay store.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 12:48:55 pm »
Pomona quality varies between products. The Pomona Kelvin probes are one of their more junky products.

The soldering inside the probe doesn't withstand use. Dumped mine in the garbage when the sense in the probe failed. It was a few days old. (I had hoped the failure was in the double banana plug, but alas it was in the probe).

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:01:26 pm »
Member iloveelectronics (Franky) does these, have a look at this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/franky's-kelvin-clip-kit/

Reply #7 is him and at the foot of his post is his eBay store.

Frank's DIY Kelvin probe kit is awesome quality. Best value on the internet from an awesome seller (ships from HK but arrives in 7-10 days).

EDIT: Just saw that Tautech linked to my review, not Franky's store. Removing the redundant link. I will just mention, Franky doesn't advertise these in his store but message him and he will provide them for you. He has a LOT of stuff that isn't in his eBay store because the eBay store isn't his day job. He just does it because he is a hobbyist like us and has access to a lot of great stuff being basically just across the bay from Shenzen.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:07:52 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:32:31 pm »
I have the Pomona Kelvin probes, and a set of Kevlin clips as well. The probes are a lot more convenient, I and are far better than standard 2-wire test leads if your meter supports 4-wire ohms.

I would say I have good experience with the Pomona Kelvin probes down to the mid or low tens of milliohms, but if you need milliohm accuracy, you need the clips or 4 wires. Note that if you end up measuring odd-shaped things like PCB traces, you might not be able to position the clips for a measurement.

BTW, had no issues with the Pomona probe quality, but maybe I got a good set. But if they fail, I'll use the leads and make my own tips. The concept is pretty simply.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

The following users thanked this post: Assafl, t2kv

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf