Author Topic: Keil uVision 5.21 is very slow at flashing MSP432 (compared to TI CCS 6)  (Read 1869 times)

Offline akos_nemethTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi Everybody,

This is my very first forum post here in EEVBlog...

I'm using Keil µVision V5.21.1.0 with MSP432 Launchpad (for the Realtime Bluetooth Networks course on edX), and the flashing time is unusually long compared to uploading even larger binaries to the MSP432 with TI's Code Composer Studio v6.

A very simple blinker program took about 28 seconds to upload using µVision (Program Size: Code=552 RO-data=340 RW-data=0 ZI-data=608  )  while with the CCS it took about 1-2 seconds.

The main question is: should I live with this slowness, or there is a remedy for it? :-//

Thanks,
Ákos

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: Keil uVision 5.21 is very slow at flashing MSP432 (compared to TI CCS 6)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:29:40 am »
How does CCS only take a couple of seconds? - it takes an eternity on my setup. Indeed I wasted a whole fucking weekend trying to get my MSP432 Launchpad (the black board) working after an upgrade of CCS. It seems the new (red board) is supported instead.

I ended up having to reflash the bootloader.

This is just trying to get the "Out of Box Experience" to work!  |O

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Offline akos_nemethTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Keil uVision 5.21 is very slow at flashing MSP432 (compared to TI CCS 6)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:48:02 am »
Hi Macbeth,

I have the "red" MSP432, maybe this is different than the "black" one.
I have downloaded the drivers from TI:  http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/forms/self_cert_export.html?prod_no=ti_emupack_setup_6.0.407.3_win_32.exe&ref_url=http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_public_sw/sdo_ccstudio/emulation
CCS 6 then updated the MSP432's firmware when I first tried to download a binary to the MSP432 from CCS.

About the Keil uVision problem, I have found the solution: In the project settings (Project->Options for Target ...), the debugger was set to "CMSIS-DAP", which seems to be very slow for downloading the binary. The right setting is "TI XDS Debugger" which is reasonable fast.

Regards,
Ákos

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf