Author Topic: Buying stuff for the container  (Read 3383 times)

Offline CoffinDodgerTopic starter

• Contributor
Buying stuff for the container
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:41:21 am »
So have been getting into a bad habit of buying this Talenti Gelato from the local grocery here.  It's delicious enough but really the draw to it is it's container.  A hard clear plastic container with a hard screw on plastic lid.  I don't know how many one pints i have saved up now. Maybe five? built my first octopus circuit in one.  The 2 pint i have in the picture i'm going to built a tube amp in.  Honestly not really sure what the big draw is to tube amps.  Don't know if it's just audiophile nonsense or they really bring some to the table, but god damn it it think it'll at least look cool in this container.

Ever buy anything just to have the container to put a project in?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Buying stuff for the container
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:52 am »
The 2 pint i have in the picture i'm going to built a tube amp in.  Honestly not really sure what the big draw is to tube amps.  Don't know if it's just audiophile nonsense or they really bring some to the table, but god damn it it think it'll at least look cool in this container.

If it doesn't melt.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:42:29 am »
Ever buy anything just to have the container to put a project in?

Yes ... but does this count?:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:17:55 am »
Yup,  Altoids,  not a bad mint but a great tin!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:38:06 am »
I once bought a 2.5" USB HDD in order to use the HDD itself in a laptop. The case ended up being used for a homemade USB battery pack/LED flashlight/green laser pointer that I still use today.

I bought a $1 DSL modem at a garage sale many years ago. I haven't reused the case yet, but I have already reused some of the internal parts and the wall wart.

How about a cheap set of Harbor Freight automotive test lights in order to take out the bulbs and put in my own electronics? I modified one with a bicolor LED along with a constant current circuit that will work on 5-600V, making it useful for lots of things relating to power supplies from checking the polarity of a wall wart to discharging mains voltage capacitors.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:08:55 pm »
Altoids tin!
Very handy IME.

I store my soldering iron tips in both their normal size and mini size tins (Weller NT & LT respectively).  :-DD

It's not exactly something used then repurposed, but I use nylon pencil pouches for 3 ring binders to store probes in (i.e. color code them, such as yellow for channel 1 on my oscilloscope  >:D).

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:16:33 pm »
So have been getting into a bad habit of buying this Talenti Gelato from the local grocery here.  It's delicious enough but really the draw to it is it's container.  A hard clear plastic container with a hard screw on plastic lid.

I like those containers too. I also wash them and save them.

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:22:54 pm »
So have been getting into a bad habit of buying this Talenti Gelato from the local grocery here.  It's delicious enough but really the draw to it is it's container. 

I like that ice cream!   It is pretty good.   I do like the containers too but I just rinse them good and put them for recycling.

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:44:19 pm »
Not for putting projects in, but the packaging used for store brand cotton buds is the right size for small objects like spare pencil leads, connectors or mini breadboards and other junk on the desk.

Recently I've been looking twice at everyday things and thinking whether you could fit a mini-ITX motherboard in there.  Looks like the new "home server" might get to live in a wine box until I get around to making a real case.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 01:01:56 am »
Looks like the new "home server" might get to live in a wine box until I get around to making a real case.
Actually, a wine box sounds really cool IMHO (could be made to look really nice, and it will fit home décor better to keep SWMBO happy).  ;D

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:48:37 am »
Not for putting projects in, but the packaging used for store brand cotton buds

I use them for measuring out and packaging components for resale, they sit nicely on top of small gram scales and are easy to squeeze the sides  into a spout to pour the contents into a ziplock bag. 
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 11:35:35 pm »
OMG that Talenti Tahiti vanilla is the best, and yes the tub it comes in is just about the most reusable packaging I have ever found.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf