Author Topic: UK TV Licence Scaremongering  (Read 23831 times)

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UK TV Licence Scaremongering
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2016, 02:07:07 am »
You cannot tell what people are watching via power usage? How will you differentiate from every other power using utility? Will you measure by the power used for every pixel?

The only way to tell if the person has a tv is 2 ways. 1) via radio (like those dishes, tv antennas), 2) via subscription (cable, online, etc). Infact it would be better if tv license was dropped and replaced with a subscription fee where to watch you either need to subscribe for internet/cable/online or if you have tv antennas, satellite tv than you would pay tv license.

I never watch any bbc programs and less and less and less are watching tv. The newer generation prefers watching what they want, when they want rather than sticking to a programme or specific time.

Offline switcher

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2016, 08:35:28 am »
(SNIP) less and less and less are watching tv. The newer generation prefers watching what they want, when they want rather than sticking to a programme or specific time.

And that's just it. The world has changed, and some, since the BBC, and licence fee was introduced, in 1930-something-frozen-to-death, and they wont accept it.

I get very annoyed with it all. I get constantly bombarded with 'To the Legal Occupier' letters. Its the assumption of guilt, by not having a tv licence, that annoys me most.
There is no point writing to them to say you dont have a tv (I know people who have done this) because they just ignore you.

Its a bit like assuming; that because my house is situated in a road, I must have a car ! Its absurd !

I dont watch tv (its all shite) so I dont pay a licence. My choice.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:22 am »

I get very annoyed with it all. I get constantly bombarded with 'To the Legal Occupier' letters. Its the assumption of guilt, by not having a tv licence, that annoys me most.
There is no point writing to them to say you dont have a tv (I know people who have done this) because they just ignore you.

And that's why I plan to make it hard work for them.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2016, 02:04:19 pm »
(SNIP) less and less and less are watching tv. The newer generation prefers watching what they want, when they want rather than sticking to a programme or specific time.

And that's just it. The world has changed, and some, since the BBC, and licence fee was introduced, in 1930-something-frozen-to-death, and they wont accept it.

Its a bit like assuming; that because my house is situated in a road, I must have a car ! Its absurd !

I dont watch tv (its all shite) so I dont pay a licence. My choice.
Wait, you actually would open something addressed like that?  No name, no open. "Valued customer" "Current resident" "Legal occupier" (what dont want squatters to read it?)  Trash without opening.

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2016, 06:44:34 pm »
being a private company they cant legally access details about the address/house. Only the cops/feds/govt can. The license is applied by house/apartment. If a house/apartment doesnt pay they check if someone lives there but it seems that they know when someone moves in. They target students too even though students dont watch tv because they threats scare international students and half of students at universities are international. Since the students dont know better it becomes a greedy and unethical source of income. Imagine, a student accommodation, each apartment/flat having around 5 students, each room gets a letter (yes each room, not the flat/apartment), thats a huge amount of letters and money.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2016, 08:24:52 pm »
In theory the TV licence should only apply if one watched BBC but in reality it does whenever one has a TV hooked up to an aerial, satellite dish or a cable service. Suppose someone has a subscription to cable TV, yet doesn't pay the licence? The authorities would most likely chase them for TV licence evasion and probably secure a successful prosecution. The defendant may claim they don't need one as they don't watch BBC but they can't prove they don't and the law says they have a TV receiver connected up and is ready to receive BBC programmes so they have to have a TV licence.

Personally, I like the BBC. They're pretty good as far as public service broadcaster is concerned and I think offer something the other commercial broadcasters don't. The BBC isn't perfect by any means but I tend to watch it more than other TV stations. As far as how the BBC is funded is concerned: it could be changed to general taxation but the licence seems to be as sensible as any other method. Another thing they could consider is allowing people in other countries to buy a TV licence so they can watch online.

As far as the Internet killing off TV because people like to watch what they want, when they want is concerned: weren't people saying the same thing about radio? It didn't happen. Radio is still popular today. I can't see TV dying any time soon. Ratings may not be as good as they were back in the 90s but TV won't go.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2016, 11:56:08 pm »
being a private company they cant legally access details about the address/house. Only the cops/feds/govt can. The license is applied by house/apartment. If a house/apartment doesnt pay they check if someone lives there but it seems that they know when someone moves in. They target students too even though students dont watch tv because they threats scare international students and half of students at universities are international. Since the students dont know better it becomes a greedy and unethical source of income. Imagine, a student accommodation, each apartment/flat having around 5 students, each room gets a letter (yes each room, not the flat/apartment), thats a huge amount of letters and money.

And a nightmare to administer,which is why the whole creaking edifice was dropped in favour of direct funding in Oz.
It doesn't seem to have much effect upon the ABC's independence in the last 40 years,or so.

Of course, bias is in the eye of the beholder:
The Right wing of Australian politics thinks the ABC are all a bunch of Leftys,anyway!

Case in point:-

Some years back when the Federal Budget came out,the ABC commentator rated the Budget as overall,"quite good",but with some points he didn't like .

The Commercial CH7 Network commentator,on the other hand,"tore it to shreds",seemingly finding nothing of value in it.

The LNP Govt blasted the ABC for "bias" over the few things they criticised,but not a word about CH7!

Does that say something about either Pollies viewing patterns,or their attitude to CH7 as a legitimate Political commentator?

Offline amiq

• Regular Contributor

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2016, 01:59:09 am »
Does the UK has pay cable channels? If so, cable viewers could pay for the BBC only if they subscribe to its channel.  This practice is very common here, for example with HBO or certain sport channels.

Offline zl2wrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2016, 02:57:57 am »
And a nightmare to administer,which is why the whole creaking edifice was dropped in favour of direct funding in Oz.

Same sort of thing happened across the ditch here in New Zealand - the gov scrapped the TV licence fee (and the TV licence enforcement operation) and now funds "NZ On Air" from general tax revenues.
So, you pay for it even if you don't watch it ("swings and roundabouts"?), but at least you don't get hassled by the licence enforcement brigade any more...

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2016, 09:44:12 am »
Does the UK has pay cable channels? If so, cable viewers could pay for the BBC only if they subscribe to its channel.  This practice is very common here, for example with HBO or certain sport channels.
Yes and as far as I'm aware, all cable channels include the BBC channels so not subscribing to them isn't an option.

I don't have cable TV anyway. My dad does and it's just packed with adverts and is more expensive than the TV licence.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »

I don't have cable TV anyway. My dad does and it's just packed with adverts ....

That's what DVRs with skip buttons are for.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:49 pm »

I don't have cable TV anyway. My dad does and it's just packed with adverts ....

Yes but why should I pay for adverts which I have to avoid? Fuck that!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:10:34 pm by Hero999 »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2016, 01:11:26 pm »

Yes but why should I pay to watch adverts? Fuck that!

Here the ads are free. We just pay for the content and delivery. No extra charge for ads.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2016, 01:20:27 pm »

Yes but why should I pay to watch adverts? Fuck that!
Here the ads are free. We just pay for the content and delivery. No extra charge for ads.
I don't care. All subscription TV services I'm aware of focus on having hundreds of channels packed with rubbish and advertising. If I want pay TV, I'd rather have high quality content, fewer channels and no adverts.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2016, 05:33:23 pm »
I think somebody is lacking a sense of humour here. I laughed anyway zapta!  :-DD

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2016, 06:02:36 pm »
I think somebody is lacking a sense of humour here. I laughed anyway zapta!  :-DD
:)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2016, 07:03:19 pm »
Yes. Was there a joke? Obviously I don't get it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf