Author Topic: TechFX (Reflow-Oven Controller) Has Again Surfaced + Source  (Read 2768 times)

Offline bench_knobTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Disc Inside Ionized Atmosphere - Mexico 1994
    • SETV
Hello,

Revisiting an old topic regarding TechFX Reflow Oven Controller:

I have not contacted the 'new'(?) folks, but they are offering the TechFX Reflow Oven Controller with 'new' controller firmware and PC software, and for which both source code is being offered for a small fee ($4), etc. 

The original controller manufacturer Silicon Horizon (was located in Florida USA)  disappeared amidst a cloud of customer controversy. 

I bought a new TechFX Reflow Oven Controller via eBay for $75. I plugged it in, tested the basic controller operation and then put it on the shelf for several years, waiting for opportune time to fabricate a reflow-oven with it. Three years later, after construction, and several uses of the controller and oven, the controller failed.

I tried to contact Silicon Horizon for repair, but their business website had deleted all contact information (I visited every page) and then the website disappeared. 

A year went by and then I reverse-engineered the hardware and repaired the problem, an open USB trace on inside layer. Silicon Horizon assured me at time of sale that the CDrom would contain the controller schematics and source code, but it wasn't true although on cursory review, the source appeared to be present, but in fact was entirely missing.

I posted my HW drawings of the controller on the AVR website and was contacted by another fellow who had the controller source code which he freely supplied to me. Later I posted all of the files (SH was belly up and I tried to find the SH owner first).

I wonder if the version of the TechFX Reflow Oven controller that these 'new' guys are offering is derived from those files I posted with new host software (runs on Win7)?

In any case, the TechFX controller they are selling is fairly inexpensive $24 and the source is available ($4 non-commercial license, $49 for commercial lic).  And contrary to all the negative yak-yak about the PID algorithm working improperly (temperature over-shoot), I put ceramic-cloth heat insulator inside the walls of my Black & Decker 1200W InfraWave toaster oven, and I installed an blower. That oven employs crystal IR heating elements (small thermal mass) and as result my reflow-oven works perfect.   

See:
www.reflowcontroller.com/index.php/store

Parts Kit, (does not include oven or SSRs): $39
http://www.reflowcontroller.com/index.php/store?filter_catid=12&sortby=

FYI

bench knob
skupe: zeebra_xray

Offline iph

Re: TechFX (Reflow-Oven Controller) Has Again Surfaced + Source
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:20:34 pm »

the black and decker infrawave was one of the best ovens for us reflowers :-)

hands down!!!

however it is no longer in production.

now, another one has surfaced, the Panasonic infrared oven, the Panasonic flashxpress which is around 75-100 $ with infrared elements.

easy to hack.

as far as the rumor of "the silicon horizon" being "IPHolders" now hmmmm.

:-)

u know the new price is nice 19.99 on ebay !!!

also I see the software got a revamp with dry and curing functions now too, and monitoring functions.

applications.

ok improvements.

:-)

its nice to see the low price.

tnx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf