Author Topic: FS: BRAND NEW Keysight(Agilent) MSOX3104T 1GHz Mixed-Signal Oscilloscope  (Read 24244 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
BTW. I got an email from Keysight today offering 30% off the list price, if you trade in your (any) old scope.
It is their official trade-in program. Google for "Keysight trade-in program". Not really"any", see details there. Still, if to work directly with the local Keysight, perhaps can get a better deal.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline saintestTopic starter

Hello, thanks for all the replies. I got my seller limit on ebay raised so I may list it there.

To answer a few(maybe unasked) questions..

When I entered this contest I did so on a whim, and I didnt think they would give away such an expensive model. I was thinking I would receive a <5k model...my fault for not actually looking into the model.
I am a full-time student working minimum wage and theres no way I could afford the ~$3500 in taxes coming my way...but I thought I could sell it to someone who would use it.

If all else fails, I would guess the distributor would take it back?

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
If you think you might have to do a return, definitely contact the distributor to see how long you have. You might also want to ask a tax pro about it, there are probably time limits, otherwise people would transfer assets at beginning of the year and then transfer back near the end (or done using it) to have zero tax even though they substantially had the asset (tax evasion).

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Hello, thanks for all the replies. I got my seller limit on ebay raised so I may list it there.

When I entered this contest I did so on a whim, and I didnt think they would give away such an expensive model. I was thinking I would receive a <5k model...my fault for not actually looking into the model.
I am a full-time student working minimum wage and theres no way I could afford the ~$3500 in taxes coming my way...but I thought I could sell it to someone who would use it.

You better sell it if anything over $3500 gets you a profit!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline eeadata

• Contributor
  • Tube - Germanium - Discrete . All about Past
He is free to sell the scope at any price . Stop blaming him. Advice him but not as"You better sell it if anything over $3500 gets you a profit!". it is hilarious.

What options are unlocked is a big price difference in this item.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor

And Keysight didn't offer you to ship a lesser model because of the well known tax problem on the grand prize? Nice story, bro. You don't have to make something up here, it is your scope and you have every right to do whatever you want with it. You could even BBQ it if you like  :-DD

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:29:37 am by continuo »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
I don't see a problem with selling a high end scope you won. It's more scope than most people need, and see the other thread on whether or not you'd sell a $250k Porsche if you won it.

A MSOX3104T is a high end scope?  :-DD

But I agree, I can't see what's wrong in selling an item won in a sweepstake. It's his property now and he can do whatever he wants with it. He shouldn't need to justify.

I have this scope from Keysight Technologies that I am looking to sell.

[...]

I am looking for $13,500, but am open to negotiation

Forget it, chances you'll get anything even close to that will be pretty much nil. Don't focus on the RRP, it is meaningless as these scopes don't sell at RRP, they usually sell at much lower prices (30% isn't rare). And that is from Keysight or a good reseller and not from a private individual.

I'd set the price to somewhere in the $7k o $8k region, which is much more realistic.

Coincidentally, a used http://r.ebay.com/8Ja6pw] "Buy it Now" for $8.7k[/url] from the land of the fruit company... (no relationship with the seller)
Working link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-MSOX3104A-1-GHz-4-Analog-16-Digital-Ch-Mixed-Signals-Oscilloscope-/251745488273
BTW. This is an older scope, still branded as Agilent

Yes, but this is *asking price*, not the price sold. He may want to get $8k for that scope but he's unlikely to get it.

A better measure is the price scopes have actually sold for. Here's a Keysight DSOX3104T which sold for $6700:
www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-Keysight-MSO-X3104T-4-Analog-16-dig-channel-Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscope-/322037136262

Also, Keysight themselves offers a MSOX4104A for $9768:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keysight-Used-MSOX4104A-Oscilloscope-1-GHz-4-16-Channel-Agilent-MSOX4104A-/182006497276
Comes with 60 days warranty only but an extension to 3yrs should cost around $500 only (or might even be negotiated in for the asking price!)

I'd say $8k for that new MSOX3104T is probably more reasonable and more likely to sell.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
He is free to sell the scope at any price . Stop blaming him. Advice him but not as"You better sell it if anything over $3500 gets you a profit!". it is hilarious.

What options are unlocked is a big price difference in this item.
So he should send it back then and make nothing at all?  :palm: Profit is profit even if it is just $100. Ofcourse he should sell it at a higher price but asking close to the retail value is not going to help sales. His markets are hobbyists with money and small one-man-band companies. Keysight will support and honor the warranty for the next owner so there is very little risk there.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor

I'd say $8k for that new MSOX3104T is probably more reasonable and more likely to sell.

I don't think this will be reality, probably more like $6k:
Although, these are very nice scopes, their price drops like free fall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-Keysight-MSO-X3104T-4-Analog-16-dig-channel-Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscope-/322037136262?hash=item4afae8bb86:g:DHoAAOSwZQxW41vX

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
I have this scope from Keysight Technologies that I am looking to sell. Its a 1GHz scope with 4 analog and 16 digital channels.
It is BRAND NEW,, and contains all the following items:

Factory 3-year warranty (90 days for unserialized accessories such as passive probes)
Certificate of calibration, 3-year calibration interval
Secure erase
One N2843A 500 MHz 10:1 attenuation passive probe per channel (4 total)
One N2756A 16 digital channel MSO cable
Multi-language interface and help: English, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Polish, Thai, Turkish
Documentation CD containing localized user’s guide, service guide, and programmer’s manual
Localized power cord and overlay.

I am looking for $13,500, but am open to negotiation

Here is a link to the scope
http://www.keysight.com/de/pdx-x202189-pn-MSOX3104T/mixed-signal-oscilloscope-1-ghz-4-analog-plus-16-digital-channels?cc=AT&lc=ger&state=0

And here are some photos I uploaded. *note, I only powered it on once to prove its in working condition*
http://imgur.com/a/5r5kl

EDIT:
Here is the systems info showing the licenses included on the device.

Also note the device does not include a lan/vga or GPIB module installed.

:palm:

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
No decoding options on a scope with MSO?  :palm: :palm:  :wtf:

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
Im just confused, i ask my self, what was the whole purpose of this contest really? I cant tell if Keysight is any better or worse after this... what did they gain really?! ???

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Im just confused, i ask my self, what was the whole purpose of this contest really? I cant tell if Keysight is any better or worse after this... what did they gain really?! ???

TLDR alert!
Ok..lets break this down:

A) Purpose of the contest.
B) Is KT better or worse off after this?
C) What did they gain really?

/rant on
Best case scenario, a bunch of scopes are gathering dust, maybe new ones are about to be instroduced, getting rid of them buys a) good will and b) the accountants have some magic pixie dust to play with come tax time. But mostly a
Worse case scenario: xyz person either on their own or after playing golf  with a marketing buddy got approached and convinced that such a contest is a great way to set the social media on fire with KeysighT's name. "Everyone is on social media" , "tremendous exposure",  "will make keysight a houshold name". And this campaign, or even worse this 5 year contract campaign, will only cost the low low price of <insert a tremendous amount here>. The marketing company makes a couple of bucks, the decision maker gets a trip to Paris with significant other, the company gets exposure and a few people get a few free scopes.

B) Hard to tell exactly. It depends on what the original goals were and whether they were met or not

C) Name recognition/ good will exposure vs dollars spent is hard to determine

/rant off

Unless emails get leaked, we'll never know for sure other than the official company line which is may very well be exactly, 100% true and the only reason this happened. But I've been wrong before :)

No matter what the motivation /reason, we know that it has worked out very well for some, and not so great for others....
"Be careful what you wish for.." is true once more.

Something happened and from all the people that participated freely and without coersion, some/most  benefited.
In the end maybe that's all that matters.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:20:03 am by DimitriP »
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
Thanks! Any ideas as to where I can find a buyer?

Hi

Well that's where advertising comes in. There's also sorting through the infinite number of people who would love to have the scope without paying for it. On the flip side there is proving to a legit buyer that they actually *are* going to get the scope if money changes hands. Much of this is "normal business" for an instrument dealer. It's a real PIA for an individual. Selling it to a dealer *is* an option. Best guess, he'll give you about $3K for it. He'll turn around and list it for $9K, but expect to sell it for $6K.

Bob

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
How fast are you hoping to flip it? If you are patient - just plant it on eBay for $8k 'Buy It Now' and wait until there are none or few others listed - maybe it will sell. If you need it now, list it at $6k and it will go much quicker.

This is an obscure and specialized device with very few potential buyers. You have to be very good at selling scopes, or very patient, or make the price very low.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Put it on ebay with a $1 starting price and set a minimum value of something like $6k
This way you get a much higher interest in the item and probably more exposure.
The price you get at the end, is the real street value of this item.
And, if it does not sell for your minimum price, you can still relist it for "Buy Now"

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor

TLDR alert!
Ok..lets break this down:

B) Is KT better or worse off after this?
C) What did they gain really?

/rant on
Best case scenario, a bunch of scopes are gathering dust, maybe new ones are about to be instroduced, getting rid of them buys a) good will and b) the accountants have some magic pixie dust to play with come tax time. But mostly a
Worse case scenario: xyz person either on their own or after playing golf  with a marketing buddy got approached and convinced that such a contest is a great way to set the social media on fire with KeysighT's name. "Everyone is on social media" , "tremendous exposure",  "will make keysight a houshold name". And this campaign, or even worse this 5 year contract campaign, will only cost the low low price of <insert a tremendous amount here>. The marketing company makes a couple of bucks, the decision maker gets a trip to Paris with significant other, the company gets exposure and a few people get a few free scopes.

B) Hard to tell exactly. It depends on what the original goals were and whether they were met or not

C) Name recognition/ good will exposure vs dollars spent is hard to determine

/rant off

Unless emails get leaked, we'll never know for sure other than the official company line which is may very well be exactly, 100% true and the only reason this happened. But I've been wrong before :)

No matter what the motivation /reason, we know that it has worked out very well for some, and not so great for others....
"Be careful what you wish for.." is true once more.

Something happened and from all the people that participated freely and without coersion, some/most  benefited.
In the end maybe that's all that matters.

Well that was the "obvious" things , :)  i pondered more over the contest consept as in the "reputational gain" Keysight would have gotten if they instead would have (as i mentioned very early in this contest) give'n away 20 100Mhz scopes instead of 1 or 2 1Ghz scopes for few can afford to pay the taxes (who want to pay taxes at all for a gift anyway). Imagine Santa dropping down your sot'y chimney asking your kids to pay taxes for the gifts he delivers! Hideous thought! Christmas would have lost all meaning, Santas (read Keysight) reputation down the drain, noone are happy, etc etc. Christmas as a concept all ruined!  :o

I sugest to the seller here to do the opposite, set out the lowest dollar he wants and then let people bid upwards. Bidding contest! :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:21:38 pm by MT »

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
$3501.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
$3501.

Hi

I'd say that's a rational price.

Bob

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keysight-Used-MSOX4104A-Oscilloscope-1-GHz-4-16-Channel-Agilent-MSOX4104A-/182006497276
Comes with 60 days warranty only but an extension to 3yrs should cost around $500 only (or might even be negotiated in for the asking price!)

Mind to tell me how to get 3 years extended warranty on a MSOX4104A for $500? I just paid double that amount to get 3 years extended warranty for my MSOX3104A.

You don't buy warranty, you buy a "repair agreement" instead, which is pretty much the same as warranty other than that it is for instruments for which warranty has already expired.

It's also generally a lot cheaper than a warranty extension, but $500 is probably a but too low (I guess for the MSOX4104A it will be closer to $800 for three years coverage).

Offline engineer_in_shorts

• Regular Contributor
Yes, the people who know the buyers for this kind of equipment are the agents and distributors of 'scopes.

Idea 1. Search keysight for agents and call them all up, let them know the situation.  They probably have around 25% distribution agreement from Keysight, so they may want somewhere around this mark.

Idea 2. Look up agents for keysight competitors, if they have a customer who is deciding on a keysight scope against there own product this will give them a chance to sell either... a bit of a long shot put at the end of the day these companies want to shift expensive boxes and take 20 or 30%. They understand sales time can be long and need to stick around with the right customers.

Idea 3. Play sales rep for the day. Phone up research departments, see if need a 'scope.

Ide 4. Hit up linked in and find some sales reps, see if they can arrange something privately  >:D

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
$3501.

Hi

I'd say that's a rational price.

Bob

Im helping the guy out of his tax problem..
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Yes, the people who know the buyers for this kind of equipment are the agents and distributors of 'scopes.

Idea 1. Search keysight for agents and call them all up, let them know the situation.  They probably have around 25% distribution agreement from Keysight, so they may want somewhere around this mark.

Idea 2. Look up agents for keysight competitors, if they have a customer who is deciding on a keysight scope against there own product this will give them a chance to sell either... a bit of a long shot put at the end of the day these companies want to shift expensive boxes and take 20 or 30%. They understand sales time can be long and need to stick around with the right customers.

Idea 3. Play sales rep for the day. Phone up research departments, see if need a 'scope.

Ide 4. Hit up linked in and find some sales reps, see if they can arrange something privately  >:D
Used equipment dealers
Rental places
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
No decoding options on a scope with MSO?  :palm: :palm:  :wtf:
It is a clever strategy of Keysight: they know, the winner (or somebody else if beeing sold) will definately invest $2750 for purchasing the Appbundle. Thus by giving the scope to the winner, they know they will at least receive a payback of $2750. And this it what makes it difficult to sell the scope for a decent price: the potential buyer knows, he would have to add another $2750 on top to get a really useful scope.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:26:10 am by Pinkus »

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
that's what I was telling to myself recently.
if I would be a lucky winner (which I was not) I would have asked for getting the lower model msox3054 but with all software inside
better scope IMHO than an empty msox3104 ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf