Author Topic: Windows is getting disgusting  (Read 212765 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Windows is getting disgusting
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2016, 02:19:00 am »
no way to close the upgrade nag on windows 7

I did.

Once I ran SFC and it came back - but I just repeated my fix and no nag.   :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2016, 04:15:30 am »
I posted these before but here it is again:

https://github.com/th3power/aegis-voat
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

They help keep the whack a mole game down to a minimum.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2016, 09:35:08 am »
Funny Linux is a lot easier to install a printer on ( at least not those brain dead abominations that are Winprinter, where the printer is merely an interface and the raster engine and processing is done in the connected PC) by just plugging it in. No HP Experience 500M download, no trial versions of assorted photo editors, paper suppliers added to toolbars, no remote update ( which either does not work, or which downloads a new driver on every startup or login even if it is the same) and no "User Experience enhancement" tool to annoy you after

EVERY

BLOODY

PAGE

PRINTS

along with the "your printer cartridge is not a genuine unit" even with the one supplied with the sealed unit.

Linux, unpack printer, use the quick start page included to remove all the packaging inside ( found a printer at work last week installed by the IT supplier, still with some of those pieces inside, seems nobody had used the front paper feed ever), put in the trial cartridge ( same price as regular one, just 1/10 the capacity with either a physical blocker to take up space, or just a regular cartridge programmed to report lower capacity), plug in and turn on, then wait 3 minutes for the OS to find the driver on the built in list and install support. Then print test page...

Network printers are even easier, just run the CUPS installer and tell it is is a HPGL or PS printer and it does everything for you without actually caring about the printer itself so long as it speaks HPGL or PS. Still have a new HP printer that is using the 4MV driver, and this even supports the new printer doing double sided print the 4MV never could do without flipping the paper over and selecting odd or even print.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2016, 09:40:52 am »
Maybe to print some text...

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:41 am »
Maybe to print some text...

90% of the computers in our company run Linux (on the desktop). Do you really think we could do this if we were able to print text only?

We print our schematics, datasheets, drawings whatever. And yes, sometimes we do have problems with Linux.
Also Linux isn't perfect. But, at least for us, it works better, faster, efficienter and more reliable than windows.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2016, 11:51:15 am »
"90% of the computers in our company run Linux (on the desktop"

How typical do you think your company is in that regard?
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:51 am »
I run Linux and I do astrophotography, high dynamic range and high resolution image processing of TIFF  and FIT images using mainly PixInsightLE (a Windows program running under WINE) and gimp, and I print them on a Canon inkjet printer without difficulty. Even full-page photo prints. Of course I use the right kinds of papers for photo prints. So I don't understand why some people complain about Linux image printing. It just works. Even over the network, if I remember to actually turn the printer on.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2016, 11:55:23 am »

Well... if it's good enough for .... MICROSOFT....

google "Microsoft uses linux" and see what you get.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2016, 12:52:53 pm »

"Well... if it's good enough for .... MICROSOFT"

Two points

1, why do you want to be in comparison y of Microsoft, a clueless company by all account?

2. Why would you base your decision on what others use? Do what's good for you. To hell with Microsoft or anybody else. If it is good for you, it is good for you. Have some confidence in your ability to know what's good and what's not good for yourself.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »

One of the reasons we make money and our company is still standing in a time of economic
malaise, is because we try not to be one of the many typical companies.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2016, 01:21:21 pm »
"because we try not to be one of the many typical companies."

So maybe using your company as an example to substantiate Linux popularity isn't a great idea?

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
"because we try not to be one of the many typical companies."

So maybe using your company as an example to substantiate Linux popularity isn't a great idea?

I really don't see the problem. The price you pay to make the transition from a windows environment to
a Linux environment, should be added to the decision to go for windows which you did in the past.
Don't add it to the cost to switch to Linux. Every company that chooses to go for microsoft knows
that they have to accept vendor lock-in. That's the price you pay for using microsoft.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2016, 03:30:32 pm »
I really don't see the problem.

You think it is no problem to support the popularity of Linux based on a sample of 1 exceptional company that uses Linux?

Would you then say Windows is great because I found a highly successful company using Windows? Or if I found a failed company that uses Linux?

Every company that chooses to go for microsoft knows
that they have to accept vendor lock-in. That's the price you pay for using microsoft.

With each decision, you make a different trade-off. There are downside with choosing Linux just as they are downside choosing Linux, however different those downsides may be.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »
I really don't see the problem.

You think it is no problem to support the popularity of Linux based on a sample of 1 exceptional company that uses Linux?

Would you then say Windows is great because I found a highly successful company using Windows? Or if I found a failed company that uses Linux?

Every company that chooses to go for microsoft knows

With each decision, you make a different trade-off. There are downside with choosing Linux just as they are downside choosing Linux, however different those downsides may be.

The point is, you can't say that Linux has more printing problems than windows.
Most of the printing problems on Linux are caused by printers that are designed to work only with windows.
If you take away that, I dare to say that you'll have less printer problems on Linux.

Even worse, with a windows upgrade, you risk that your printer suddenly isn't supported anymore.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »
I've got to thoroughly agree with dannyf here, even though I am a massive Linux fan. Even for me Windows has it occasional uses where Linux just isn't an option, even if I will admit that's mainly playing games not available on Linux.

And even when it comes to Linux there're upsides and downsides to each specific distro depending on what you want to use it for. I'm not going to use Ubuntu as a build server, I'll use Fedora for that. But I'm going to use Ubuntu or Linux Mint as my main home desktop because third parties support Ubuntu and its derivatives better. And none of these are even amongst my favourite distros, having spent a long time looking after compute clusters and scientific workstations Suse is, but I no longer have the inclination to waste time making things work when it just works on another Linux distro.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2016, 04:08:17 pm »
Most of the printing problems on Linux are caused by printers that are designed to work only with windows.

Isn't that the point other people were trying to point out for you?

To an end user, all  he cares is that he cannot print on Linux. Whether that's because Linux is fundamentally poor at printing or there is a lack of Linux printer support doesn't matter.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2016, 04:15:52 pm »

Isn't that the point other people were trying to point out for you?

To an end user, all  he cares is that he cannot print on Linux. Whether that's because Linux is fundamentally poor at printing or there is a lack of Linux printer support doesn't matter.

Wrong. It does matter. Buying a printer that is designed to work with windows only and then starting to complain that Linux doesn't
support it, makes no sense.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:18:13 pm by Karel »

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2016, 05:09:01 pm »
EPSON 1400, to print HIGH quality photo prints. Not doable with Linux. And I REALLY would like to be able to do all my photo process with Linux.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2016, 05:42:47 pm »
EPSON 1400, to print HIGH quality photo prints. Not doable with Linux. And I REALLY would like to be able to do all my photo process with Linux.

First of all, I don't see why an EE should need a high quality photo printer. But if you really insist, trash your Epson 1400 and
buy a professional one. For example, the Epson SC-P9000. It will produce much better photo's... and on Linux.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2016, 05:50:51 pm »
It will produce much better photo's... and on Linux.

That's really the secrete of Linux being able to support any printer.

:)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »
First of all, I don't see why an EE should need a high quality photo printer. But if you really insist, trash your Epson 1400 and
buy a professional one. For example, the Epson SC-P9000. It will produce much better photo's... and on Linux.

Really, you don't see how someone can want or need something that you don't agree with? That is your argument for someone who wants to use a specific printer and can't in Linux? I got this all the time when I was trying to use Linux exclusively for a year. I was always told I was using Linux wrongly, I was using hardware not supported, and that I was just being a Windows newb and had no business using computers.

I use my computer to make videos, images, music, documents, websites, programming, work with email, web browsing, watch movies, gaming, etc.

Products used: Adobe CC, Sony Vegas Pro, both with purchased plugins, Steam and all the games I have with it, KiCad, Autodesk Inventor, Reaper, and a bunch of other things. I also calibrate my monitors with a Spyder 3, use a Wacom tablet, Logitech wireless joystick, Brother DCM1512 multifunction printer, an HP Laserjet CP1025nw color printer, SDR radio devices, and a bunch of other generic USB devices.

If anyone can point me to one single Linux distro and all the software that will do everything to that I can do with the above software, there is a finder's fee of a considerable amount. I am betting nobody will be able to collect. If I have no choice in the future but to move to Win10, I will go to Linux and deal with multiboot and the whole BS of trying to make everything  work.

As it is now, the Win10 issue is avoidable, but with some effort. it is a trojan horse, virus,and rootkit all in one. So are the special updates for Win7 that are constantly being pushed as updates that you don't need. Microsoft is acting like hackers trying to botnet your computer and steal your personal data, passwords, and allow illegal search by the government.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2016, 07:04:07 pm »
Good enough PC and Virtualbox will solve most aside from the gaming and video editing, though if you go to a Hypervisor and a few VM units that you spin up as needed ( no boot and wait for windows to actually be usable as opposed to showing a desktop) for the various tasks might work better with a modern CPU and enough memory. Enough memory and even video editing is doable in VM, though a SSD will help performance immensely. Games Steam runs natively on most Linux distros, though the video performance will not be as good.

I use a VM or three for those things that are Windows only, and a nice advantage is being able to clone them easily to do things like test new configurations with software, and make a backup that is better than trying to do a rollback to a working version. Also allows you to have different OS versions and such for software that is older, or which does not work on 64 bit versions or which uses software written for certain versions of dot net frameworks which does not work well with later versions. Separate versions avoids DLL hell.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »
I appreciate what you re saying SeanB, but a VM to run Win7 doesn't avoid the problem of windows. Pure Linux or I run Win7. If I need to run it in a VM, then there is a hit in performance, plus I still need to fight the update whack a mole problem.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2016, 07:27:09 pm »

Really, you don't see how someone can want or need something that you don't agree with? That is your argument for someone who wants to use a specific printer and can't in Linux?

Buying a printer that is designed to work with windows only and then starting to complain that Linux doesn't
support it, makes no sense.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2016, 07:27:59 pm »
I use an XP VM a lot, avoids that particular problem, and I have a clone in known condition just in case, just takes 8G of disk. There are things that only run on Windows, and things that only run on Unix, and yet more that only run on BSD, with more that only run in Linux. Horses for courses, and at least i get the option of choice as to which one I want to use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf