Poll

What is your favorite PCB layout tool  ?

Eagle
22 (31.9%)
Orcad
0 (0%)
Altium
14 (20.3%)
Geda
0 (0%)
Kicad
12 (17.4%)
Allegro
1 (1.4%)
pulsonix
1 (1.4%)
Cadstar
0 (0%)
Other
8 (11.6%)
fritzing
0 (0%)
xcircuit
0 (0%)
proteus
1 (1.4%)
ZenitPCB
0 (0%)
TraxMaker 3
0 (0%)
osmondCocoa
0 (0%)
DIPTRACE
6 (8.7%)
PCAD
0 (0%)
PROTEL
1 (1.4%)
Circuit maker /altium
1 (1.4%)
DesignSpark
0 (0%)
Target3001
2 (2.9%)
Zuken
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: January 13, 2016, 09:14:44 pm

Author Topic: [POLL] what is your Favorite Layout tool editor  (Read 8545 times)

Offline zanzeooTopic starter

• Contributor
[POLL] what is your Favorite Layout tool editor
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:51 pm »
Hi every!

In my compagny we are going to choose between 2  PCB design tool . He insited and wants me to compare both :
Eagle ( which i use for years now) and  Geda....(which i never heard before...)

The principal needs  area
-6 layer pcb tool
-huge library of component.
-A good price

I have a huuuuuge preference for EAGLE but For you what are the avantages and drawback of both ?

I've changed the subject

Thx a lot for your help !
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:32:00 am by zanzeoo »

Offline Hideki

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Eagle vs Geda
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:48:53 pm »
If free and open source software is important, gEDA may be fine if you're a seasoned Linux penguin (but even then I would suggest KiCad instead). The price is unbeatable -- free!

If that's not important and you need it to run on Windows, then Eagle is what you want. Eagle is not free, and the price isn't exactly good for what you get, but it's not insanely expensive like some other packages.

You will in nearly all cases have to make your own libraries, but the supplied ones can be used to get started.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:15:40 pm »
Thx for your answer , i added a poll

Offline Savetheday

• Regular Contributor
  • hobby technician
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:06:00 pm »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:41:06 pm »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:55:49 am »
In my opinion, free software such as KiCAD is a revolution, especially with what you can do with it.

For small projects, home users / hobbyists / OSHW projects it makes sense to use something completely free.

When it comes to a company, who ultimately will plan to make money from such designs, I think it better to stick to commercial software for one reason and one reason alone, SUPPORT!  And whatever people say about <insert CAD package here>, you will find quirks with all software, so what you should be asking, which is what I ask at every trade show I go to where PCB CAD suppliers are, is not which one is best, they all work, and they all serve a purpose, but which one offers the best support vs cost.

Personally, I hate CADSTAR, I think it is unintuitive, over complicated and just a downright PoS package, but I cannot fault the support we get from the supplying company, which is why it is one of the packages the company I work for uses.

Your "poll" is essentially meaningless, people will tick the box they use or prefer, but it won't get you useful feedback on the one thing you will rely on when you get stuck.

Others will have their opinion, this is mine.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:14:00 am »
I'm very new to PCB design.  I have a EE degree and have been doing software development for 35 years.  I've only done one hardware design professionally and it was a VME wire-wrapped card.  I just started doing some PCB layouts with DipTrace for personal use.  DipTrace was very easy to learn the basics.  They have a free version you can download and try.  You're limited to 2 layers and 300 pins.  I highly recommend it. 

I have tried Eagle and found the learning curve very high.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:59:01 am »
Hardly anyone use gEDA AFAIK, KiCAD is by far the better option.
BTW here is a short interview I did with the lead developer:

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 01:30:21 pm »
I love DipTrace! Though it doesn't have the huge parts library, it is damn easy to make your own parts (5min or less). Plus it is has a very fair licensing scheme. I never could get into Eagle, it just frustrated me too much. Everyone is different though.

I'm very new to PCB design.  I have a EE degree and have been doing software development for 35 years.  I've only done one hardware design professionally and it was a VME wire-wrapped card.  I just started doing some PCB layouts with DipTrace for personal use.  DipTrace was very easy to learn the basics.  They have a free version you can download and try.  You're limited to 2 layers and 300 pins.  I highly recommend it. 

You can get the Non-Profit Lite license for free which up's the pin count to 500 pins.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:47:43 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:13:00 pm »
I love DipTrace! Though it doesn't have the huge parts library, it is damn easy to make your own parts (5min or less). Plus it is has a very fair licensing scheme. I never could get into Eagle, it just frustrated me too much. Everyone is different though.

You can get the Non-Profit Lite license for free which up's the pin count to 500 pins.

I thought DipTrace was able to import the Eagle libraries?  I haven't tried to import one.

Thanks.  I already have the Non-Profit Lite license.  Easy to apply and receive the license.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 05:28:46 am »
thx for your feedback

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Re: [POLL] what is your Favorite Layout tool editor
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 05:52:42 am »
DIPTRACE!   O0
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 06:40:41 am »
I started using DesignSpark.

But then there are some more design tools:

CircuitMaker by Altium
Target 3001
Zuken

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 04:10:04 pm »
updated

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »
Your poll results are skewed because of people voting for "other" before what they actually use was added.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 07:20:21 pm »
You forget a few ...
CircuitStudio
DxDesigner
Expedition
Zuken is not 1 tool , there are 3 different ones...
PADS

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Wicked_Wonder

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 10:57:10 pm »
There are other issues with your poll. For instance, is the user a PCB Layout Designer (someone who uses the tool everyday) or an EE, or an electronics hobbyist (casual users)? Has the voter actually used any other layout tools. If they have only used one tool that will be their favorite and they cannot really speak on the usefulness of another tool. Often colleges will use a lower end tool (Eagle or Altium) and when their students start working in the field they bring what they know with them spreading the tools into the workplace (known as the Apple Computer model).

Many factors drive the tools a company will buy, sometimes it is cost per seat, sometimes it is the tool's capabilities, sometimes it is what the team already has the most experience with, and sometimes it is foisted upon the team buy someone above them who will never use the tool but had a wonderful sales presentation.

I am a PCB Designer of more than 40 years, and I'm currently learning my 20th layout tool so I feel I can speak with some authority on the subject. Tools come is three tiers, low end and cheep, mid range, and high end and expensive. The old saying "You get what you pay for" holds true generally (but not always). If you only do basic digital designs you really do not need a high end tool and almost any CAD software will do. If, on the other hand, you need a tool that does very complex high speed boards with lots of simulation and RF one of the higher end CAD tools may be the right choice. So based on this having a poll asking what someone's favorite tool is must be taken into the context of their experience with the tool, as a beginner learning Cadence Allegro may hate the tool because it is so complex with a steep learning curve, the user who has used it for years may consider it the best. Almost every tool does something excellent and has short comings as well, the key is finding the one that meets your needs and does most things you need well. I seldom use low end tools, but with determination you can make a simple board with almost any program.

As for me I have three favorites, PCad (Now pretty much dead), Altium (Has some bugs but does pretty well), and Cadence Allegro (Mentor Expedition coming in as a close runner-up).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf