Author Topic: used sot-23 instead of sot-363 footprint  (Read 8084 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
used sot-23 instead of sot-363 footprint
« on: August 30, 2015, 01:31:24 pm »
 :palm: Yep, goodness knows how i saw SOT-363 as SOT-23, It looks like the pins will just reach the edge of the pads, can I hope for surface tension to centre the chips exactly and hope the 4 outer pins make contact - perhaps touch them with a soldering iron afterwards to make sure they make contact.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:40:38 pm by Simon »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: used sot-23 instead of sot-363 footprint
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:31:13 pm »
By hand? Glob it on and don't touch the surrounding pins.  Bend the leads if necessary.

By reflow?  Ha.

I've seen SOT-323 used on -23 pads, but not 363.  Which means... you didn't use SOT-23 at all, but SOT-23-6 (SC-74, etc.)?

http://www.onsemi.com/site/cdroms/micropackages/pdf-docs/onsemi/SOT563%20footprint-prof%23B3380.pdf

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 05:21:43 pm »
I don't know much about packages. I have noticed SOT-23 and SOT-23-3 used interchangeably so assumed the SOT23 refers to the body and that lead spacing and size that can be from 3 to 6.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »
I don't have a JEDEC or EIA/J library or anything handy, but I suspect SOT-23-(N) has been named in reference, like that, but that the official designations are not.  "SOT-23" refers to one body, officially, as far as I know.

So there are naming conventions coming from several standards bodies, which use a variety of naming conventions (TO-, SO-, SC-, etc.), many of which are similar (compatible) or identical.  TO-236A = SOT-23 = SC70 = ...

I suspect, some of them do specify pinouts parametrically (i.e., "SC-70" can have 3, 5 or 6 pins, by the looks of it), so you need to be specific all the time.

I don't see a lot of talk about these things, or even the publications that they must be coming from.  Not that they'd be free anyway, because, why would they want that?...  Obviously, best practice is, for each and every component you purchase (exactly as purchased, not just the part/family), confirm the package, footprint and pinout.  Bother?  Yep.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 07:37:57 pm »
I don't know much about packages. I have noticed SOT-23 and SOT-23-3 used interchangeably so assumed the SOT23 refers to the body and that lead spacing and size that can be from 3 to 6.

Sometimes you see people refer to packages like SOT-25 or SOT-26, or SOT23-5 or SOT23-6, and they're the same thing as far as I'm aware.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:24:13 pm »
Sometimes you see people refer to packages like SOT-25 or SOT-26, or SOT23-5 or SOT23-6, and they're the same thing as far as I'm aware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small-outline_transistor
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:14:34 pm »

SOT-23-5 and SOT-23-6 is the same package with 5 or 6 pins. The smaller version is SOT353 and 363. I think the 25 and 26 is not standard way of calling it.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »
I wish they would standardize on packages. I'm pretty sure some manufacturers make up designations just to be different. I looked up a package today and no images appeared, just a link to the chip I was looking at  in the first place yet is was a simple SOP.

I reflowed my board last night. one of them looks like it made contact. The other one not. I only need one right now so not a problem.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:36:42 pm by Simon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf